These delicious gluten-free cauliflower bites came about while making cauliflower pizza bites. I wanted something special to top my mini pizzas and I knew I had the ingredients on hand. They seem more like crostini to me, but certainly could be viewed as white pizza bites. These would be a fantastic game day snack that will satisfy all!
- 1 head of cauliflower grated on a box grater, or processed into fine pieces in a food processor.
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup shredded smoked mozzarella cheese
- 1/3 cup Romano cheese ( + a bit for sprinkling)
- 1/2 lb uncured bacon (chopped or cut with kitchen shears)
- 1 onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 cans of chopped clams drained or equivalent fresh
- 2 tbs extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 tsp oregano
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
Preheat over to 400 degrees. Combine shredded cauliflower with eggs, 1/3 cup mozzarella, 1/3 cup Romano, salt and pepper. Form into small parties, and bake on a greased pan for 25 minutes or until golden brown. In a sauté pan, add chopped bacon. Cook until crisp. Remove from pan and drain on a paper towel. To the pan with bacon drippings, add onion, oregano, and cook over medium heat until translucent. Add clams and continue cooking about 5 minutes. Add a sprinkling of salt and pepper to taste.
Brush the cauliflower with olive oil, sprinkle with additional Romano and the remaining 1/4 cup of mozzarella. Spoon the clam mixture on top of each bite and sprinkle with bacon. Bake an additional 10-12 minutes at 450 degrees.
Sara ~Fresh Foodie Mama