Perfect for tacos, Bolognese, Shepherd’s Pie, Chili, and anything else where the recipe calls for ground beef . I came across a similar recipe in the Forks Over Knives group on Facebook and couldn’t wait to give it a try and make it my own! The basic version will allow you to add additional ingredients depending on what recipe you are making. So for example, if you are making tacos, you follow the basic version and then would add your taco seasoning, and maybe some fresh lime juice and cilantro. If you are making Bolognese, just add the basic version to your favorite marinara sauce recipe.
Basic Ground Beef Alternative
- 1/2 lb Baby Bella or mushroom of your choice
- 1 cup walnuts or pecans soaked in hot water for 30 minutes (Pepitas or other seeds can be substituted for a nut allergy)
- 1/2 onion finely chopped
- 4 cloves of garlic minced or microplaned
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 tbs extra virgin olive oil or grape seed oil ( can use a few tbs of water if desired instead of oil )
- 1/2 tsp pink Himalayan salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
Soak walnuts for 30 minutes in hot water. Add oil to sauté pan over medium heat. Add onions and garlic and cook until fragrant and softened. Add the walnuts and mushrooms to a food processor and pulse until they have broken down into a meat-like crumble texture. Add them to the pan along with 1/4 cup of water, and mix everything together until well combined. Cook the mixture for 8 minutes, or until it begins to brown and the mushrooms soften. A this point you can use this mixture in your recipe as an alternative to ground beef! Let me know what you think!
Sara~ Fresh Foodie Mama~
1 thought on “Simple and Delicious Ground Meat Alternative!”