It’s Slow Cooker season, YAY! Oyster Mushroom, Carrot and Tarragon Chicken and Dumplings are on the menu and they are soul-warming and delicious! The ultimate comfort food, cleaned up!
I made a homemade version of condensed cream of chicken soup for this recipe and I’m pleased with how it turned out! Wouldn’t you just love to have some on hand for all of those casseroles and slow cooker recipes that call for it?! Now you can, check out the recipe below!
- 2½ cups chicken broth
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup half and half
- ¾ cup flour of choice
- 1 tsp. salt, ½ tsp. minced onion , ½ tsp. garlic powder, ½ tsp. black pepper, 1/2 tsp tarragon (you can sub whatever spices you like)
- Combine the chicken broth and half and half in a saucepan and bring to a boil.
- In a small bowl, whisk the flour and seasonings into the 1 cup milk until smooth.
- Pour the thickened mixture into the saucepan with the broth mixture over low heat and stir continuously, as the mixture simmers and thickens. Continue to whisk until the mixture is smooth and thick, about 5-10 minutes.
* Equivalent of about 2 cans of condensed cream of chicken soup.
Slow Cooker Oyster Mushroom, Carrot and Tarragon Chicken and Dumplings
3 lbs of chicken (can use whatever you have thighs, breasts, tenderloins etc.)
The homemade equivalent of 2 cans of Condensed Cream of Chicken soup (see recipe above)
1 tube of Immaculate Baking Company Biscuits
1 lb Oyster or other wild mushroom chopped
3 large carrots chopped or about 2 cups of chopped baby carrots
1 onion chopped
1 tbs fresh tarragon
1 tsp sea salt, garlic powder and pepper plus more to taste
Season chicken with salt, pepper and garlic powder and place into the bottom of the slow cooker. Top with mushrooms, carrots and onions. Pour soup mixture over the top. Cook on High for 5-6 hours. Remove lid and shred chicken and place back into the slow cooker. Top with Immaculate baking company biscuits and cook an additional 30-45 minutes until biscuits are cooked through.
Sara~Fresh Foodie Mama~