Vegan Comfort Food -Weekend Edition! My last 3 recipes have been vegan or have vegan variations, so it has become a series! This Vegan Pot Pie with “cheesy” Biscuit Crumble will satisfy your cravings!
• 2 tbsp olive oil
• 1 large onion, finely chopped
• 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
• 1 package frozen organic mixed veggies
• 3 tbs flour of choice
• 3/4 cup plant milk of choice
• 1 cup water
• 1 tbs veggie Better than Bouillon
• 1 potato, chopped
• 1 sweet potato, chopped
• 1 cup lentils, cooked (use canned if pressed for time)
• 2 tsp herbs de Provence or 2 tbs fresh tarragon
• salt & pepper to taste
Cheesy Garlic Biscuit Topping:
• 1 1/2 cups flour of choice
• 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
• 1/2 tsp salt
• 1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
• 1/2tsp garlic powder
• 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper (optional)
• 1/4 cup grass-fed butter or vegan cultured butter like Miyokos, cold and diced into small cubes
• 1/4 cup Vegan Cheddar Shreds or Nutritional Yeast or both!
• 3/4 cup vegan half and half or milk
1. Preheat oven to 450. Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onions and garlic and let cook for 2 minutes until translucent.
2. Next, add the mixed veggies, potatoes, lentils, and cook another 3-4 minutes
3. Reduce heat to medium and add the flour and milk, mixing until everything is combined.
4. Add the water, Better than Bouillon, spices, and combine.
5. Cover and let simmer on medium-low for 10 minutes.
While the mixture simmers, combine the biscuit topping dry ingredients. Add the butter and mix with fingers until it is crumbly. Add cheese and half and half mix until just combined. Break and drop mixture into 2-inch pieces onto a parchment- lined baking sheet. Bake 10 minutes until golden. Remove from oven and set aside. Transfer pot pie mixture to a casserole dish, top with biscuit topping, and bake another 10 minutes at 400.
Sara ~Fresh Foodie Mama~