Butternut Squash & Shiitake Mushroom Lasagna was one of my favorite Family Meal options when I had my Goo Goo Gourmet and OrgaNico’s Market business! I made it tonight, but totally forgot to add the mushrooms—-we have Oyster Mushrooms growing in our little Back to the Roots mushroom farm, so I will be making it again soon with them! This recipe is Gluten Free and Vegan , but you can use whatever you’d like. I can’t get over how good a Vegan Bechamel sauce is! I really think it makes a phenomenal Thanksgiving option, especially if you have Vegan or Vegetarian guests. Gluten-free lasagna sheets are from Barilla, homemade cashew ricotta and Parmesan cheese are used, along with Violife Mozzarella, and Oat Yeah for the Béchamel.
- 1 Box Gluten-free lasagna sheets are from Barilla
- Homemade Cashew Ricotta or 15 oz. of store bought
- 1/4 Cup Homemade Cashew Parmesan Cheese or store bought
- 1 Cup Violife Mozzarella or other mozzarella of choice
- 6 Cups Oat Yeah Oat Milk or milk of choice
- 3 TBS Earth Balance vegan butter or butter of choice
- 3 TBS Organic or Gluten Free flour of choice
- 1/2 pound Wild Mushrooms of choice, sliced
- 1 Butternut Squash peeled and sliced into rings or half rings
- 1/2 Organic onion chopped
- 1 clove of garlic minced
- 1 Tbs Organic Extra Virgin Olive oil
- 1 Tsp Pink Himalayan Salt (divided)
- 1/2 Tsp Pepper
- 1/4 Tsp Nutmeg
- 1/4 Tsp Garlic Powder
- 1 Tbs Fresh Sage (1/2 dried
- 1/4 Tsp Fresh Thyme (1/8 dried)
Start by roasting your butternut squash. Drizzle or spray with a touch of olive oil, and salt and pepper, then airfry slices at 370 degrees for 16 minutes or until golden brown and softened (or try 400 degrees for 10 minutes. I haven’t tried that time/temp, but it may work). Alternately, you can roast the slices in the oven for about 30 minutes at 400 degrees. Remove from oven and set aside.
Follow the Ricotta and Parmesan Cashew Cheese recipes linked in the ingredients while your squash is cooking. You will also want to bring olive oil to medium heat in a small saute pan. Add onion, garlic, sage and thyme. Cook until onion is softened, then add the mushrooms, half the salt, a few grinds of pepper. Finish cooking until mushrooms have softened, about 5 minutes. Set mushroom and onion mixture aside.
Melt butter in a sauce pan over medium heat. Add flour, and whisk until combined, and cook for about 30 seconds to a minute without burning. Slowly whisk in the oat milk and let it come to a low boil while whisking constantly. Continue adding the rest of the milk, and season with the rest of the salt, pepper, nutmeg, and garlic powder. Lower the heat and simmer for 5 minutes whisking often. Remove heat and it’s time to assemble!
The directions for this lasagna are the same as the Barilla Gluten Free Lasagna with Marinara.
- Spray a 13 by 9 inch baking dish with oil or rub with butter. Pour 1 cup of sauce on the bottom of the dish; spread evenly. Place four sheets of lasagna side-by-side, slightly overlapped.
- Top the lasagna sheets with 1 cup of sauce, ¼ of the mozzarella, 1/4 of the Squash Slices and mushroom and onion mixture, ¼ of the ricotta, and ¼ of the Parmesan
- Repeat for 3 more layers, ensuring each lasagna sheet is covered with sauce. Use any remaining sauce on the top layer, as well as some leftover mozzarella and Parmesan.
- Cover with foil; bake for 40 minutes. Remove foil and bake an additional 20 minutes. Let rest 15 minutes before serving.
~Sara~ Fresh Foodie Mama