The fall weather has officially arrived here in Massachusetts, and nothing is better than a steaming bowl of soup. This yummy soup has vegan, local and organic ingredients that will satisfy your soup craving! I have a son that doesn’t love coconut, so I took some out of the pot before adding the coconut milk and it was still great with just the stock and veggies!
- 1 large organic sweet potato washed and dried (you can keep the skin on)
- 4 organic carrots peeled
- 1 box of organic stock (veggie, chicken, beef will all work nicely)
- 1 can coconut milk
- 2 ears of fresh corn or 2 cups frozen, non-gmo corn
- 1 tablespoon dried ginger or 2 tbs fresh grated ginger
- 4 cloves of garlic sliced
- 1 onion chopped
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- Sea salt and pepper to taste
- Fresh herbs and nuts for topping: Basil is perfect and I added cashews and fried jalapenos, yum!)
Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Poke the sweet potato a few times with a knife or fork and place the sweet potato and carrots on a baking sheet. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Bake for 45 minutes or until all is tender. While they are baking, place the coconut oil in a dutch oven or large pot over medium heat. add 1/2 tablespoon of the ginger to the oil. Add the garlic and onion, and saute until soft, about 7 minutes.
When sweet potatoes and carrot are done, slice open the sweet potato length-wise and squeeze the filling into the dutch oven with the onions and garlic, along with the other 1/2 tablespoon of ginger. Roughly chop the carrots and add them to the pot. Add stock and coconut milk.Use an immersion blender right in the pot to smooth out the soup into a bisque texture. You can add the corn before if you want it completely smooth or after if you want the corn whole. Season with Sea Salt and pepper, and your favorite toppings.
A little bowl for my 6 month-old, Valentina, and a big bowl for me!
Sara~Fresh Foodie Mama~