This Stew has always been a favorite! So much so that I had it on the Goo Goo Gourmet toddler meal menu when I was running my Baby Food and Family Meal business. I made it this evening and forgot how good it was. Everyone gobbled it up and had seconds and thirds! It should definitely be put into the weekly rotation!
Italian Lentil Stew
- 1 lb hot or sweet Italian sausage (for vegan, sub your favorite vegan meat alternative or tempeh crumbles. Add 1/2 tsp fennel seeds and hot pepper flakes for the Italian flavor. My Vegan Meatballs would be fantastic!)
- 6 cups broth of choice or Organic Better than Bouillon and water equivalent
- 1 28 oz can of diced or crushed fire-roasted tomatoes based on preference
- 1 1/2 Cups lentils
- 3 stalks of celery chopped
- 3carrots chopped
- 1/2 onion chopped
- 1/2 tsp pink Himalayan salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1/4 cup fresh basil (1 tsp if using dry)
- 1/4 cup fresh Italian parsley (1 tsp if using dry)
In a large pot over medium heat, add the sausage, break into crumbles and cook until browned. If you are using a vegan alternative you may need to add a tbs. of extra virgin olive oil. Remove sausage from pan and set aside. Do not drain the oil. Add the veggies and cook until tender, about 5 minutes. Add broth, tomatoes lentils and herbs to the pot and bring to a boil. Turn down heat, cover and simmer until lentils are tender and it has thickened, about 45 minutes. Top with Romano cheese or vegan nutritional yeast.
Sara ~Fresh Foodie Mama~